Doctor of Medicine—University of Michigan, 1989
Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology—Northwestern University, 1994
1994 – 1997: Assistant Professor of Pathology, Northwestern University
1998 – 2001: Assistant Professor of Pathology, University of Michigan
2001-2006: Associate Professor of Pathology, University of Michigan
2006-2011: Professor of Pathology, University of Michigan
2011- present: Adjunct Professor of Pathology, University of Michigan,
2011 – present: Medical Director, Warde Medical Laboratory
American Board of Pathology: Board Certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (1994)
American Board of Pathology: Special Qualification in Hematopathology (1996)
Past President, American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Past President, Michigan Society of Pathologists
2007- present: Best Doctors, Inc, “Best Doctors in America”
2017: Mastership Award, American Society for Clinical Pathology
General Laboratory Medicine
Data analysis methods for flow cytometry
Appropriate laboratory test utilization
Selected Recent Publications:
- Finn WG, Carter KM, Raich R, Stoolman LM, Hero A: Analysis of clinical flow cytometric immunophenotyping data by clustering on statistical manifolds: treating flow cytometry data as high dimensional objects. Cytometry Part B 2009; 76B:1-7.
- Carter KM, Raich R, Finn WG, Hero AO: Information preserving component analysis: data projections for flow cytometry analysis. IEEE J Sel Top Sign Proces 2009; 3(1):148-158.
- Finn WG, Carter KM, Raich R, Harrington AM, Kroft SH, Hero III AO: Immunophenotypic signatures of benign and dysplastic granulopoiesis by cytomic profiling. Cytometry Part B 2011; 80B: 282-290.
- Lee G, Finn W, Scott C: Statistical file matching of flow cytometry data. J Biomed Inform 2011; 44(4):663-676.
- Bailey M, Bennett A, Doyle K, Finn W, Garcia E, Glenn D, Holladay EB, Jacobs J, Kroft S, Patterson S, Petersen J, Schulze M, Tanabe P, Zaleski S: Building a laboratory workforce to meet the future: ASCP task force on the laboratory professionals workforce. Am J Clin Pathol 2014; 141:154-167.
- Finn WG, Gulbranson R, Fisher S, Sample LR, Shalhoub R, Hedstrom D, Keren DF: Detection of polyclonal increases in IgG4 subclass by distinct patterns on capillary serum protein electrophoresis: diagnostic pitfalls and clinical observations in a study of 303 cases. Am J Clin Pathol 2016; 146:303-311.
- Finn WG, Holladay EB: Discordant interpretations of breast biopsy specimens by pathologists (letter). JAMA 2015; 314(1):82.
- Kroft SH, Sever CE, Bagg A, Billman B, Diefenbach C, Dorfman DM, Finn WG, Gratzinger DA, Gregg PA, Leonard JP, Smith S, Souter L, Weiss RL, Ventura CB, Cheung M: Requirements for laboratory work-up of lymphoma: guideline from the American Society for Clinical Pathology and the College of American Pathologists. In press.
- Finn WG, Macon WR: Mature T-cell and NK cell leukemias. In: Hsi ED (ed.) Foundations in Diagnostic Pathology: Hematopathology. Churchill-Livingstone Elsevier, Philadelphia, 1st edition 2007:383-395. 2nd edition 2012: 403-418. 3rd edition, 2017: 414-428.
- Blomberg D, Erickson CE, Finn W, Ferguson K, Greig B, Novak R, Waage RK: Introduction: historical aspects and the tools of hematology. In: Glassy EF (ed.) Color Atlas of Hematology: An Illustrated Guide Based on Proficiency Testing. CAP Press, Northfield, IL, 2nd edition 2018: 2-47.
- Bhargava P, Etzell J, Finn W: Erythrocytic cells. In: Glassy EF (ed.) Color Atlas of Hematology: An Illustrated Guide Based on Proficiency Testing. CAP Press, Northfield, IL, 2nd edition 2018: 48-127.